Got a Barbie Doll For My Birthday

I thought I would be too busy to blog, what with a birthday post on top of the latest craze in blogging –being tagged! But I cannot let this opportunity pass up. I have had several of these in my 16 years of teaching, so I decided to just go for this one. Get down and blog!

.

If you’re a teacher you would know what I mean by Valentine’s Day presents! “Lots of them” do not begin to describe the amount of gifts we (teachers) receive, especially with former students adding to the list of well-wishers. Of course, am talking about simple tokens, nothing extravagant, just kids wanting to give something to their teacher. Anything “Valentiney” –from worded hearts (those colored candy hearts with words) to heart-shaped balloons, flowers -roses mostly, both fake and real, chocolates (in heart-shaped boxes) tops the list, Teddy bears (lots enough to put up a bear store) Ok, having enumerated all these, truth is, the fun part is not being at the receiving end of all these “gifts”, but the power to make a giver happy. In truth it’s really the kids that feel “delight” in giving. If you want my honest opinion, after 16 years of these (in the Philippines it’s even worst) I would rather not receive a thing, it’s a huge waste of resources. Am not being cynical, just being practical!I don’t even like those types of chocolates and flower is really expensive during Valentine week!

.

Like what I said, just stop and look at the face of the giver…and wow! The reaction will blow you away! The only time I see a notorious kid in class behave, is when he/she has a gift in his/her hand! Their bashful smile says it all! One of my very verbose students was even tongue-tied in handing me a bag with a bear. Geez, can you please be this shy (and quiet) when am doing discussion in class! Hahaha Cynic alert! Cynic alert! In all fairness, I do make a fuss when I receive something. The kids love it when I do the big eyes and do an exaggerated WOW with my mouth gaping…w-o-w! That makes their day….and THEIR REACTION completes mine. Makes me forgiving towards the multi-colored candies made of worded-hearts (yikes!) Hahaha!

.

But here’s the bomb! Last Friday, I was ambushed in the hallway by one of my former students bearing the most unusual gift…a doll, a Barbie doll in apple green gown– what with white hair springing out of me, what is this boy thinking! Plus, when was I seen in green gown (Ok, stop complaining!) The co-teachers that I was standing with, in the hallway (including his adviser) were all so touched that he even remembered to bring me something for my birthday (con Valentine’s Day, con Teacher of the Year) His adviser said, the kid has been harping about this gift for Ms Bernal almost the whole week! Gee-wish! Talk about a buzz!

.

For the record guys, I have never given these kids impression that I dress this way! But I admire the effort and thoughtfulness. The sash completed his image of me as a “Barbie Teacher” (yikes!) Teehee

Teacher Barbie -given by Eli -cool!