Obsession Confession

*1960 Ponytail Baribie wearing "Gay Parisienne"


I confess . . . I like to collect things.
Not everything, like hoarders do, but when I really, really like something I want to collect it. And I want to collect a whole lot of it! That's probably why my workspace is inordinately crowded with a pretty significant selection of precious metals, high quality gemstones, vintage beads and hand torched lampwork from a wide assortment of talented glass artisans. While technically a business, I know that it looks suspiciously like a collection to my husband.

On to my Obsession: I LOVE VINTAGE BARBIE!



* 1960 Ponytail Barbie wearing "Busy Morning"

. . . and up until about five years ago, I was pretty much obsessed with collecting said doll, along with her miniature haute couture wardrobe manufactured by Mattel between 1959 and 1972. I no longer actively collect, but after ten years of doing so, I have quite a hifalutin collection, if I do say so myself. I hope you'll enjoy a few examples seen below.



1960 Ponytail Barbie wearing "Registered Nurse"


Now it's only my opinion, but I'm pretty darn sure that Barbie was the first Super Model! What's my proof? When launched in 1959, she was marketed as a "Teen-age Fashion Model". Now she's a lot more famous than Janice Dickinson, and I'll put her up against even Cindy Crawford's longevity any day. Case Closed.


* First Bubblecut hair style released in 1961
When launched in 1959, Barbie wore a black and white zebra striped swimsuit and signature topknot ponytail, and was available as either a blonde or brunette. A mint example still in its original condition with box can sell for $10,000. ... BTW, I don't own one.



* 1965 Barbie's new bobbed hairstyle wearing "Music Center Matinee"


I must let it be known that I Do Not Love Pink. I don't even LIKE it all that much.

The real reason for my obsession was the wardrobe. That spectacular, haute couture-inspired ever changing reflection of American fashion. Tiny zippers that really worked, fabrics like silk, satin, linen, taffeta and even chiffon. Didn't exactly make much sense for a child's toy . . .


* 1966 Barbie wearing Fashion Luncheon


Equally amazing were the accessories. The miniature cats eye glasses with working hinges have always impressed me the most, but Barbie's jewelry was nothing to sneeze at - pearl studs and gold hoop earrings, a pearl choker, pearl pendant on the tiniest chain I've ever seen, and a gold charm bracelet.


* 1965 Bubblecut Barbie wearing "Golden Glory"


Barbie is a fashion icon with the most detailed wardrobe ever made for a doll.

* 1966 Bubblecut Barbie wearing "Matinee Fashion"

Anyhow, it's something I adore, and just wanted to share a bit with you.


* 1968 Twist n turn Barbie had eyelashes! Wearing "Riding in the Park"


* 1969 Mod Barbie with a Marlo Thomas hairstyle. Wearing "Fab City"


1962 Ponytail Barbie with "Cats eye" signature sunglasses